Library users may not engage in conduct that disrupts or interferes with the normal operations of the Library, its staff, or its use by other users. Such conduct may include, but is not limited to:
- Harassing or threatening behavior.
- Using obscene or abusive language or gestures.
- Making unreasonable noise, including loud talking on a cell phone or otherwise. Library users who need to carry on a conversation should use a group study room or step outside into the Forum.
- Engaging in sexual conduct or lewd behavior.
- Possessing a knife, gun, or any other weapon in violation of University policy.
- Smoking, including electronic cigarettes.
- Using alcohol or illegal drugs.
- Failing to maintain appropriate personal hygiene.
- Soliciting, petitioning, or canvassing.
- Selling or advertising any goods or services.
- Using a bicycle, roller blades, skates, skateboard, in-line roller skates, or similar devices.
- Damaging, defacing, or misusing any Library materials or property. This includes disabling Library equipment, using it after it has been turned off in preparation for closing, changing the hardware or software or settings on a Library computer, or using a Library computer for a purpose other than that designated by the Library.
- Engaging in any activity in violation of federal, state, or local law or University or library policies.
Please also be aware that:
- The Library is not responsible for personal items that are lost, stolen, or damaged on Library premises.
- Library staff reserve the right to inspect bags or other personal property when users enter or leave the Library.
- Clothing and shoes must be worn in the Library.
- Some items in the Library cannot be copied because of copyright laws, poor condition, or donor restriction.
- The Library is not responsible for children who are left unattended on Library premises.
- Large groups that want to visit, tour, or conduct class in the Library are required to obtain permission in advance. Instructors and students in these groups as well as other library users are urged to display the highest level of courtesy in these situations so that the competing needs can be satisfied.
- Beverages must be in spill-proof containers.
- Certain rooms and other Library spaces may have additional restrictions.
Visitors who do not follow the Code of Conduct may be asked to leave by library staff or campus police and may lose their Library privileges.